We had a fantastic MSLC meeting yesterday with the Royal Sussex midwives who updated us on the following:
Refurbishment of the labour ward:
– the new pool room with ensuite loo/wet room is up and running.
– another birthing room with ensuite loo/wet room is also up and running.
– work continues to create ensuite facilities across the rest of the labour ward.
The new homebirth service:
– the new homebirth service launched last week with a dedicated homebirth team.
– in the 1st week, 10 women in Brighton and Hove birthed at home, almost as many as in the last month !
– the community and hospital midwives have already reported a huge boost in morale around home birth and are looking forward to promoting this choice to suitable women.
Everyone is expecting these developments to increase the normal birth rate – watch this space !