Today we had a meeting with Carole Whiley, the Children’s Centre Service Manager for Brighton and Hove. We have decided to step up our programme to collect parent’s feedback from the various children’s-centre-based baby groups across the city. We’ll be asking new mums and dads about their pregnancy, birth and postnatal experiences. Look out for us. If you’d like to share your feedback in the meantime, get in touch with us via the ‘Contact Us’ page on this website.
Check out the Argus article. Great news for all parents to be in Brighton and Hove.
We had a fantastic MSLC meeting yesterday with the Royal Sussex midwives who updated us on the following:
Refurbishment of the labour ward:
- the new pool room with ensuite loo/wet room is up and running.
- another birthing room with ensuite loo/wet room is also up and running.
- work continues to create ensuite facilities across the rest of the labour ward.
The new homebirth service:
- the new homebirth service launched last week with a dedicated homebirth team.
- in the 1st week, 10 women in Brighton and Hove birthed at home, almost as many as in the last month !
- the community and hospital midwives have already reported a huge boost in morale around home birth and are looking forward to promoting this choice to suitable women.
Everyone is expecting these developments to increase the normal birth rate – watch this space !
At the end of January, we learnt that the Department of Health had awarded the Royal Sussex County Hospital £300,000 to upgrade the ensuite facilities on the labour ward. We are still waiting for an update on the exact timescale of this work. We’ll keep you posted.
But following on its heels, we are told, will be the plans to build the Brighton and Sussex Birth Centre on Level 11 of the Tower Block, expected to be open by the end of next year (2014). Again, we’ll update you as soon as we know.
We are also hoping to hear soon about the new home birth service for Brighton and Hove – with a target to cover 10% of all births across the City. This new service will be rolled out soon. Music to our ears.
A couple of things to read and watch before we sign off for Christmas.
A powerful article in last weekend’s Observer magazine:
The film Freedom for Birth can be viewed at:
Please circulate to your friends and colleagues. It tackles some vital issues that are impacting on maternity services everywhere.
Happy Christmas to all !